Workers are experiencing a rapid shift in the core sets of skills that are required of them. According to a 2016 World Economic Forum report, more than a third of the skills that companies will consider crucial by 2020 are not yet in-demand today. That means that even people with skill sets that appear less likely to be rocked by technological advancements will see a dramatic change in how they operate—and soon.
Proactive workers know that in order to be valuable in the future, they need to develop new skills now. Upwork recently released its quarterly Skills Index, a rank of site’s 20 fastest-growing skills that help highlight hot freelance job market trends. In other words, a list of new skill sets clients have already begun to demand today, and will absolutely require tomorrow.
Don’t yet have a grasp on the trending skills of the new economy? Don’t worry! Skillshare took a look at the latest Skills Index, spoke to their own experts about what marketers, creatives, and technology professionals need to know, and rounded up a set of classes to help you stay ahead of the pack.
1. Blockchain: Intro to Cryptocurrencies, Blockchain and Crypto Trading
Blockchain is the fastest-growing skill on Upwork’s site, experiencing 6000% year-over-year growth. In this class, you’ll learn all about this exciting new technology, and how to develop your own cryptocurrency outlook and trading plan.
2. Data Visualization: Designing Data Visualizations with Processing
Data visualization is fast becoming an important skill set for workers in the digital economy. In this class, you’ll learn how to investigate large amounts of data and how to make it look appealing, compelling, and convincing.
3. Adobe Premiere: Learn Video Editing with Premiere Pro CC
Videos can tell stories, connect with audiences, and build brand appeal, but only if they are edited well. In this class, you’ll learn how to use Adobe Premiere Pro CC so that you can create more polished, creative, and effective video content.
4. Machine Learning: Goal-Driven Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) are becoming more critical to our economy everyday. In this class, you’ll learn about the ins and outs of the new technologies, and how you can use them to help your business grow.
5. Customer Research & Insights: Demystifying NPS: Tactics to Make the Most of User Feedback and Intro to UX: Fundamentals of Usability
For anyone active in the digital realm, it’s important to understand the fundamentals of an enjoyable user experience and how to test for it. In these classes, you’ll learn the basics of UX and how to use metrics to better understand your users.
6. Freelancing: The Freelancing Guide: Managing Your Finances and Going Freelance: Building and Branding Your Own Success
Upwork reports that more than 59% of companies are already using “flexible talent,” such as freelance contractors, to help with their operations. If you freelance (or want to), these classes will help you cultivate a more strategic and prosperous business.
7. Social Advertising & SEO: Introduction to Social Media Advertising, Google AdWords Essentials, and SEO Today: Strategies to Earn Trust, Rank High, and Stand Out
The internet is a noisy, crowded place. Learning to successfully use social media advertising and search engine optimization (SEO) strategies can make a major impact on how you reach, and connect with, potential audiences. These classes will teach you the concepts and tools you need to know to make sure that whether you promote a website, business, or brand, your work stands out above the rest.
8. Art Direction: Lettering for Brands: Working with Clients, Dynamic Brand Identity & Logo Design, and Creative Filmmaking: Crafting Art Direction for Music Videos
In an increasingly visually driven world, it’s imperative to know how to make creative choices that will serve a brand, logo, or video. These classes will introduce you to the concept of art direction, and show you how experts apply their keen eye and artistic skills toward creating more compelling work.
9. iPad Illustration: Introduction to Procreate and iPad Lettering: The Ultimate Guide
Since it was first released, Apple’s iPad has given designers, typographers, and illustrators more freedom to express themselves wherever they are, whenever they want. These classes will show you how to work with the iPad and the Procreate app to create gorgeous visuals, even when you’re on the go.
10. App Development: Intro to Mobile App Design with Sketch 3
The high demand for app developers isn’t going anywhere. With this class, you’ll learn how to use Sketch 3 to create mobile app designs that bring your ideas to life.
Want to learn more? You can develop all kinds of skills with Skillshare’s 18,000+ free and premium classes. Check them out by visiting www.Skillshare.com.